Sunday, 18 March 2012

Attempting to adapt

After a lot of staring at my patterns in to try and figure out what I could make to wear to a wedding I finally decided on New Look 6829
The same pattern used to make my Lily top (view D).  I've chosen this pattern because of the empire line waist and have started to adjust it to accommodate the Monklet. I'll be making view A this time in a gorgeous burgundy heavy crepe to go with my fabulous shoes.  But the wedding is on Saturday and all I've done so far is botchineer the pattern, but in my defense we have spent nearly 2 weeks sorting the house out to get it on the market and now that is done I can get back to this. 

So far for the pattern adaptation I have slashed between the notches for the bust gathers and spread to allow some gathers on the skirt for some more room around the belly

 Then I re-drew the hem line and filled in the gaps.
Now to attempt a trial run to see if my random adaptation actually works.  I did try to research this online but couldn't find anywhere to show me how to do this so botchineered it had to be.

Sunday, 4 March 2012

I think it worked

One Maternity skirt made from Simplicity 2451 - Done

Although I'm not entirely sure it will see me through at least for the time being I can wear something other than bloody trousers.  The skirt is definitely not the best thing I've made but I am still rather chuffed with myself for kind of pulling it off.

I utterly failed to take any notes or make any sort of pattern piece for my adjustments as I kind of botchineered* it. 
(*Totally made up word meaning I did something random but it worked, sort of like engineered but with no knowledge of what the heck you are doing)

But here goes an effort to try and describe what I did...

1. Pinned the waistband pieces together at the seam allowance
2. Pinned to the jersey on the fold
3. Measured how much length I would need (I totally messed this measurement up as you can see below, oopsies)
4. Marked that measurement on the jersey and drew a straight line (A)
5. Attempted to join the pattern to the straight line (A), then decided it would never fit round my waist and angled the back seam line a little
6. Folded the jersey at the straight line (A) and cut.
7. Tried this around me and realised I had failed as it didn't even meet at the back
8. Attempted steps 1-7 again but angled the pattern piece at stage 2 so the center front was not on the fold

That seemed to work however as previously mentioned I botched the measurement for the length I would need and it is far too long... Ah well growing room I suppose

And for a bit of a sneaky dose of leopard print, I used a ribbon as hem tape, ooh this bit makes me smile :)